We are thrilled to announce our new season for the Fairfield County hygiene Club with a new and exciting lineup for the 2023-2024 season.
Mark these dates in your calendar and join us: Please look at the enclosed Registration Form for more information on evening seminars. We look forward to a year filled with thought-provoking topics, expert speakers, and lively discussions.
– Rui “Ray” Ma DMD and the Team of Fairfield County Hygiene Club
October 19, 2023 – Easwar Natarajan, BDS, DMSc – Evening Seminar
“Wound Healing and Repair: Application in Daily Practice”
Course Description: This is a 2 hour presentation that will use the foundational concepts of wound healing and repair in discussing oral pathological lesions encountered in daily practice. The seminar will use concepts underlying wound repair mechanisms and enable participants to apply this knowledge in their understanding/ management of conditions like traumatic ulcers, aphthous ulcers, apicalperiodontitis, gingival hyperplasias, and other orofacial conditions.
Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this session, when presented with a clinical scenario, attendees will be able to:
1. Explain concepts underlying wound healing and repair
2. Apply the foundational concepts of wound healing and repair in the diagnosis and management of common oral pathological lesions including:
a. traumatic ulcers
b. aphthous ulcers
c. gingival hyperplasias
e. periapical disease & alveolar bone disease
December 5, 2023 – Brad Gilden, PT, DPT, FAAOMPT, FFMT, PRC, CSCS – Evening Seminar
“Connecting the Dots Between Posture and Health Span”
Course Description: This session will provide an experiential exploration of how posture profoundly influences the occlusal system, breathing, sleep, performance, and recovery. The talk will highlight the often overlooked connection between dental health and overall body posture. Dr. Gilden will delve into the negative impacts of today’s technology-driven lifestyles that promote poor postural habits. The lecture will underscore the importance of recognizing these detrimental patterns and adopting proactive behavioral modifications to enhance postural health. Attendees will learn that by improving their posture and body mechanics, they can enhance their overall health.
1. Participants will demonstrate an understanding of how posture impacts musculoskeletal health.
2. Participants will understand how posture impacts the occlusal system.
3. Participants will demonstrate an understanding of efficient standing, sitting and sleeping postural positioning.
4. Participants will understand how posture influences breathing mechanics.
5. Participants will learn simple postural corrections for sitting, standing and sleeping.
6. Participants will learn breathing techniques to restore balance to the autonomic nervous system.
February 22, 2024 – Cathie Collier, RDH – Evening Seminar
“Medical Emergencies in Your Dental Office – 7 Critical Steps”
Statistics show that most emergencies in a dental office occur during or immediately following local anesthesia administration. Syncope is the most frequent medical emergency, accounting for 50% of cases, followed by allergic reactions at 8% and hyperventilation at 7%. Don’t wait until it’s too late – enroll in this *interactive on demand webinar to learn how to effectively interview patients about their health history and medications to uncover undisclosed details that could put them at risk.
Signs, symptoms and team readiness response are critical. You will be able to take action for medical emergency preparedness knowing your roles, responsibilities and limitations.
Topics covered include:
1. Prevention (medical history, vitals, monitoring patient during procedures)
2. Health history interview
3. First aid and medical emergency equipment storage and maintenance
4. Allergic reactions including asthma and anaphylaxis
5. Breathing difficulties and Respiratory Arrest
6. Hypoglycemia and Diabetes
8. Stroke, heart attack, cardiac arrest
The Participant will:
• Identify common medical conditions in a dental practice
• Assess risk factors to consider and take preventive measures
• List equipment necessary in a medical emergency situation
• Explain the role and responsibilities of team members
• Understand how to interview a patient about their health history
April 18, 2024 – Ray Ma, DMD – Evening Seminar
“Periodontal Regeneration – Updated.”
Course Description: Major advances in periodontal therapy have resulted in paradigm shifts in the periodontal field. Over the last decade, there was realization that the periodontal structures can be regenerated, rather than simply repairing the tissue after periodontal disease has occurred. How do we recognize and screen patients for the appropriate therapies? When should clinicians intervene? This course will review the diagnosis, etiology and treatment options of the bony defects around teeth. Biological principles of periodontal regeneration, clinical application of tissue regeneration, and the regenerative materials will be discussed, including laser therapy.